OCC COVID-19 ADVOCACY RESPONSE
The Ontario Chamber of Commerce (OCC) is taking concerns from the business community and communicating them to all levels of government.
Feedback from Ontario Business
We have established an online form for Ontario business to share their specific needs and concerns as they face new challenges that the COVID-19 crisis has generated.
COVID-19 Pandemic Preparedness Toolkit
The OCC & Hicks Morley have created a COVID-19 Pandemic Preparedness Toolkit to support Ontario businesses.
Organizations need to be prepared for any human resources or operational-related disruptions. The guidelines and resources contained in this toolkit have been prepared to help businesses plan for and adapt to the disruption of COVID-19 and any future influenza pandemics.
Support for Chambers of Commerce/Boards of Trade
We are regularly updating a COVID-19 Communications Toolkit to support Ontario’s Chambers of Commerce and Boards of Trade.
Please reach out to Ariel Benjamin, Specialist, Public Affairs to access the communications toolkit and if you have any questions or suggestions.
Letters to Government
While we offer support for individual concerns and connect businesses with government officials, we also continue to send letters to government in a coordinated effort to advocate for policy and regulatory changes that will help industry manage the disruption caused by COVID-19.
All letters will be published on our website here. To date, we have sent the following letters:
- Supporting renters during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Releasing cash flows for business during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Supports for small business during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Working with municipalities to support business during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Temporary amendments to the ESA and OHSA during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Extending deadline for submissions during the COVID-19 pandemic
OCC Media Releases
- March 31: Partnership Creates New Opportunities for Ontario Business
- March 28: Ontario Business Eager for Details
- March 27: Ontario Chamber Reacts to Latest Federal Relief Package
- March 25: 2020 Economic and Fiscal Update Provides Relief for Ontario Business and Employees
- March 25: Rapid Policy Update – 2020 Economic and Fiscal Update
- March 25: Canada’s Leading Business Organizations Call on Government to Protect Jobs and Postpone Non-Essential New Measures
- March 24: Slashing Electricity Rates the Right Thing to Do
- March 24: Prioritizing Public Health Is Our Best Long Term Economic Strategy
- March 24: Ontario Cannabis Policy Council Calls for Cannabis Sector to be Included in COVID-19 Economic Relief Packages
- March 21: Joint statement with Canadian Chamber of Commerce & Canadian businesses, calling on governments to support a national effort to protect jobs and to postpone non-essential new measures.
- March 21: Chamber response to Government of Ontario’s new procurement portal, Ontario Together, that will help businesses and their employees work with the province to meet the challenges of COVID-19.
- March 19: Ontario Chamber Supports 24-hour truck delivery
- March 17: Ontario Chamber Supports Further Measures to Protect Public Health
- March 16: OCC and OMA Support Protecting Workers and Waiving Sick Notes During COVID-19
OCC in the News
- March 30: Toronto Star
- March 27: Toronto Star
- March 26: Toronto Sun, Exchange Magazine, The Windsor Star
- March 24: CBC News, Toronto Sun, BNN Bloomberg, Toronto Star(1), Toronto Star (2), Toronto Star (3), Ottawa Sun, The Growth Op
- March 19: The Hamilton Spectator, Exchange Magazine
- March 17: Exchange Magazine, Edmonton Examiner
- March 11: Toronto Star
Public health and safety are priorities for all Ontario businesses. We will continue to monitor and assess new developments pertaining to COVID-19 closely and work with our members, partners, and all levels of government to provide support to Ontario business.