The outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) may cause anxiety and stress. The Ontario Chamber of Commerce has put together mental health resources to help you during this time.
For important and up to date information about COVID-19 visit the Public Health Agency of Canada website at: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html.
COVID-19 and Mental Health @ Work – Government of Canada
“Employees may be experiencing a high degree of uncertainty, worry, anxiety and stress about the health and safety of their loved ones, and how COVID-19 (coronavirus) may disrupt their work and personal lives. It is important for all of us to acknowledge these impacts and to engage in an open dialogue about them, including on ways to maintain and support our mental health.”
Canadian Red Cross’ Psychological First Aid Pocket Guide – Canadian Red Cross
“First aid for the mind and our social networks is just as important as first aid for the body. Learning psychological first aid skills for mental health crisis could save a life.”
“This site is designed to provide information and suggestions about how best to cope in this difficult time.”
Virtual Mental Health Resources – Canada Psychological Association
“The CPA has produced a series of Fact Sheets in response to the coronavirus pandemic.”
COVID-19: Mental Health and Well-Being – Canadian Mental Health Association
“CMHA has put together some resources and suggestions to help support your mental health at this time of uncertainty.”
Manage Anxiety and Stress – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
“Fear and anxiety about a disease can be overwhelming and cause strong emotions in adults and children. Coping with stress will make you, the people you care about, and your community stronger.”
Mental Health and COVID-19 – The Conference Board of Canada
“Join the conversation with Dr. Bill Howatt, Chief of Research, Workplace Productivity.”
- Minding Your Health During Covid-19 Outbreak – Toronto Star
- 5 Mental Health Tips Amid COVID-19 Concerns – Canadian Mental Health Association
- Make time to take care of your mental health during COVID-19 pandemic – Global News
Tips to Take Care of Your Mental Health from the Government of Canada
- Get information from reliable sources, such as Canada.ca/coronavirus.
- Stay informed but follow news coverage about COVID-19 in moderation. Take breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories. It can be upsetting to hear about the crisis and see images repeatedly.
- Take care of your body. Take deep breaths, stretch or meditate. Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals, exercise regularly, and get plenty of sleep.
- Make time to step back and consider how to take advantage of unexpected flexibility in your daily routine.
- Stay connected. Talk to friends or family about your feelings and concerns.
- Maintain healthy relationships and respect other people’s feelings and decisions.
- Show support and empathy to those dealing with difficult situations.
- Identify what is within your control and try to direct your energy towards what most worries you within your own control.
Chambers of Commerce Group Insurance Plan – Employee Assistance Program
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is designed to provide you with support and guidance when you need it most. Available to Chambers of Commerce Group Insurance Plan subscribers. Learn more or contact toll-free 1-877-412-7483.