Energy policy – in Ontario and globally – is at a pivotal moment. Governments, businesses, and other stakeholders must contend with challenges to the sustainability and affordability of energy. Long-term thinking, innovation, and collaboration across regions and sectors will be necessary to pave a path forward.
In Ontario, the provincial energy system has changed considerably since the government released its last Long-Term Energy Plan in 2017. Recent developments include the cancellation of cap and trade, the repeal of the Green Energy Act, and the Independent Electricity System Operator’s progress on Market Renewal – to name just a few. As Ontario moves forward with its energy planning, industry will need to be prepared to provide thoughtful commentary recognizing the opportunities and challenges present in domestic and global markets.
To that end, the Ontario Chamber of Commerce (OCC) has launched the Ontario Energy Council composed of leading industry experts to shape our policy and advocacy efforts. This initiative is supported with insights and technical expertise from Sussex Strategy Group’s Natural Resources, Energy, and Environment Practice.
Specifically, the Ontario Energy Council will:
- Meet periodically throughout 2020;
- Discuss topics pertaining to Ontario’s energy system (e.g. supply, innovation, affordability, economic development, and others);
- Engage in meetings and working sessions with political and bureaucratic staff; and
- Where appropriate, develop practical recommendations to inform the Ontario government.
The Energy Council will enable the OCC to make informed, strategic policy recommendations to the government on behalf of Ontario business. Direct outcomes of the Council could include submissions, roundtables, presentations, and/or media outreach.
Founding members of the Council include:
- ArcelorMittal Dofasco
- Boismier Wealth Advisory Group (RBC Dominion Securities)
- BOMA Toronto
- Bruce Power
- Burlington Chamber of Commerce
- Canadian Solar
- Capital Power
- Common Voice Northwest Energy Task Force
- Edward Fuels
- Efficiency Canada
- Electricity Distributors Association
- Flamborough Chamber of Commerce
- Grasshopper Solar
- Hydro One
- Leamington District Chamber of Commerce
- Markham District Energy
- Mississauga Board of Trade
- Northeast Midstream
- Ontario Power Generation
- Paris and District Chamber of Commerce
- Peak Power
- Sault Ste. Marie Chamber of Commerce
- Toronto Region Board of Trade
For more information on how to join the Council, please contact Claudia Dessanti, Senior Policy Analyst, Ontario Chamber of Commerce.