In October 2018, Canada became the first G7 country to federally legalize the use of recreational cannabis. As we approach the one-year anniversary, more remains to be done to allow the cannabis sector to reach its full economic potential. With Ontario home to more than half the licensed producers of recreational cannabis in Canada, the majority of cannabis employment, and the largest domestic consumer market, the province is well-positioned to lead Canada’s recreational cannabis industry on the world stage. Success will require collaboration among all levels of government, investors, industry, and post-secondary institutions.
Timely recommendations and evidenced-based decision making are more vital than ever. Building on the success of our past policy and advocacy initiatives to support the cannabis sector, the Ontario Chamber of Commerce (OCC) has formed the Ontario Cannabis Policy Council (OCPC), composed of industry leaders and experts who will inform and shape government decision making.
The Council is be co-chaired by Daniel Safayeni, Vice President of Policy, Ontario Chamber of Commerce, and Trevor Fencott, Chief Executive Officer, Fire & Flower Cannabis Co.
Founding members of the Council include:
- Trevor Fencott, CEO, Fire & Flower Inc.
- TBD, Tilray
- Eric Foster, Partner, Dentons Canada LLP
- Mike Dixon, Director, Controlled Environment Systems Research Facility, University of Guelph
- Andrew Stordeur, President, Sundial Growers Inc.
- Michael Nituda, Partner, BFL Canada Risk and Insurance Services Inc.
- Afshin Mousavian, CEO, RCU – Responsible Cannabis Use
- Janet Ecker, President, Kilwaughter Consulting
- Pamela Jeffery, Founder and CEO, The Pamela Jeffery Group
- Dave Paterson, Chief Commercial Officer, Indiva
- Fern Glowinsky, President & CEO, Merrco Payments Inc.
- Shahbaaz Kara-Virani, Canadian Sales Leader, Dutchie
- Katie De Silva, VP of Operations, Kanalink
- Ian C. Grady, Director of Government Relations, Weedmaps
- Marc Nantel, Vice President, Research & External Relations, Niagara College
- Adam Coates, Chief Revenue Officer, Decibel Cannabis
- Nathan Mison, CEO, Diplomat Consulting
For more information on how to join the Council, please contact Daniel Safayeni, Vice President of Policy, Ontario Chamber of Commerce.